Sage

Sown in groups that need the same soil conditions
divingbrit
Site Admin

Sage

Post by divingbrit » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:12 pm

Sage
Sage (Salvia officinalis)

Well-drained to dry neutral to alkaline soils in full sun, sage dislikes damp conditions and low light in winter
Many cultivars have excellent ornamental value
Hard prune in early spring to promote bushy growth
Leaves are used to flavour many dishes, especially meat. Fresh or dried leaves are used for tea

Sage will grow almost anywhere, but it provides the tastiest leaf when it receives a lot of sunlight. This evergreen shrub is hardy from zone four through 11, and because of its affinity for well-drained garden soil, it performs well in containers. I have a couple of sage plants dedicated for culinary use, nestled alongside my carrots and tomatoes. I also have a few more planted within the landscaping. I love using sage springs in flower arrangements.
When: Sage can prove challenging when planted by seed, but it is very easy to grow from cuttings or by "layering." I purchased my first sage plants from the garden center, and now I propagate new plants via one of the two methods listed below. Regardless of which propagation method you choose, plant young sage plants only after the ground temperature hits 65°F, one to two weeks before the last frost.

Soil: Sage thrives in well-drained, sandy, loamy soil, and it prefers a pH between 6.0 and 7.0. Resist the temptation to over-fertilize; the sage might grow a little faster, but its flavor will be less intense.
Sun: Plant sage in medium to full sun. If you are growing sage indoors, place your pot near a sunny window.
Water: Sage is a fairly drought-tolerant herb, and even when the leaves look wilted, a little water perks the entire plant right up. Wait until the soil is dry to give it a thorough watering.
Spacing: Sage grows in a round, bush-like fashion, and individual plants should be spaced 24" to 36" apart.
[attachment=0]Sage.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
Sage.jpg
Sage.jpg (71.15 KiB) Viewed 143 times
Scuba diving is an art, not a sport